Can I just say I freaking love pie?
I really do. All kinds of pie.
But if I had to choose, Apple Pie would most certainly be up there with my all time favourites. Whenever it’s around I can’t get enough of it! Apple Pie would be my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert if I had the choice, and over the last 2 days, it has been. That’s right, I’m an adult. I can do things like that.
After some trial and error, this Apple Pie recipe is both easy and delicious, and goes wonderfully with my pie crust recipe, which you can find here. You’ll wish you made two, trust me!
First, peel and chop 8-9 large apples (I like to use green ones) into medium sized cubes and place in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and sugar, and stir until apple slices are evenly coated.
Add coconut oil to a large/deep pan on medium heat. Add the apples and allow them to cook until they are soft, but still hold their shape, stirring occasionally. This usually takes around 13 minutes. Once apples are soft, add flour, cinnamon, and salt, and mix together. Remove the pan from heat, and allow to fully cool before using.
While your apple filling is cooling off, you can make a speedy batch of my Quick, Easy Vegan Pie Crust and preheat the oven to 375° F.
Once the crust is ready, pour in the filling, cover the top of your pie, and get ready to bake! Place on the lowest rack in your oven, and allow to cook for 1-1.5 hours, or until the crust is golden brown, checking occasionally. If the edges of the crust are baking too fast (starting to brown before the rest) you can simply cover them with tin foil.
Once the pie is finished, allow to cool completely before serving; roughly 3-4 hours.
Amazing Vegan Apple Pie
After some trial and error, this Apple Pie recipe is both easy and delicious, and goes wonderfully with my pie crust recipe. You'll wish you made two, trust me!
- 8-9 large Apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Step 1 Peel, core, and slice apples into medium sized cubes.
- Step 2 Add to large bowl with lemon and sugar, and mix until evenly coated.
- Step 3 Melt coconut oil in large pan on medium heat, and add apples to cook.
- Step 4 Allow to cook for about 13 minutes, or until apples are soft but still hold their shape.
- Step 5 Add cinnamon, salt, and flour, anf stir to combine.
- Step 6 Remove pan from heat and allow to cool while you make crust.
- Step 7 Preheat oven to 357°F.
- Step 8 Pour filling into bottom pie crust, and cover with top layer of crust.
- Step 9 Bake for 1-1.5 hours, or until crust is golden brown.
- Step 10 If edges begin to bake too quickly, wrap in tinfoil until pie is finished cooking.
- Step 11 Allow to cool on counter or rack for at least 3-4 hours before serving.