With all the pumpkin I have this year (my fridge is still loaded), I wanted to try and incorporate the pumpkin into a dough and see what happened. The pasta from the other night was still on my mind, but I don’t have my own Pasta Maker quite yet. This is how my husband and I ended up deciding to try our hand at Gnocchi. Neither of us have ever tried making our own before, but I think we did pretty well for ourselves.
The end result was this delicious pumpkin gnocchi, tossed with garlic butter; a delicious fall dish that will leave you full and satisfied.
To top it off, we sautéed some garlic with some vegan margarin and coconut oil, for a nice Garlic Butter sauce, which we coated the Gnocchi with.
First, I mixed all my dough ingredients in a large bowl. After a little while I ended up using my hands for the sake of kneading a bit as well, and mixing more thoroughly.
Once the dough was combined, I laid it out on a floured surface, and did my best to roll it into two worm/snake shapes, which I then cut into inch long pieces.
After cutting all of the dough into pieces about an inch wide, I set a large pot on the stove to boil.
Once the water reached a rolling boil, I added a sprinkle of salt, and carefully dropped in my Gnocchi. I let them cook until they began to float to the top, and then three more minutes afterwards before draining them.
I let the Gnocchi sit in my colander for a minute, while I used the same pot to begin preparing the garlic butter. With the vegan margarine and coconut oil in the pot on medium-low (on a separate burner, as the one that was just used for boiling may be extra hot), I carefully added my minced garlic, and stirred constantly. Once the garlic reached a nice, golden brown, I knew it was done and added my Gnocchi back into the pot to stir.
I served mine with some stir-fried bell peppers, cabbage, and carrots, since these were the only veggies I had on hand, and topped with my Cashew Parmesan, and hemp hearts for an extra boost!
Pumpkin Gnocchi w/ Garlic Butter
Pumpkin infused Gnocchi, tossed with Garlic Butter, is a delicious fall dish that will leave you full and satisfied.
- 2 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- Step 1 In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, flour, salt, garlic powder, nutmeg, and pepper until throughly combined.
- Step 2 If dough is too sticky, add more flour 1 tbsp at a time, until it reaches desired texture. If it’s too dry, add water 1 tbsp at a time.
- Step 3 Move your dough to a floured surface, and roll into two wormlike shapes.
- Step 4 Cut the dough into pieces about 1 inch wide, and shape into rounded rectangles.
- Step 5 Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Step 6 Once water is boiling, add a pinch of salt , and gentle drop in your Gnocchi.
- Step 7 Allow to cook until Gnocchi floats to the top, and then cook for three more minutes.
- Step 8 Drain Gnocchi, and allow to sit in the colander while you prepare the Garlic Butter.
- Step 9 In the same pot, on a different burner, add Vegan Margarine and Coconut Oil, and allow to melt completely on medium.
- Step 10 Add minced Garlic, and allow to simmer, stirring frequently.
- Step 11 Once Garlic has browned, remove from heat, add cooked Gnocchi back to the pot, and toss in the butter.
- Step 12 If necessary, you can allow the Gnocchi to warm on medium-low.
- Step 13 Serve with veggies and Cashew Parmesan, and enjoy!