When looking to add some extra protein to top off my meal, this Quick and Easy Crispy Tofu is one of my favourite go-to’s to whip up. It’s super fast, super simple, and super yummy! I use soy sauce or Bragg’s to flavour this, sine I like how the saltiness tastes with the tofu, but you could easily substitute some of your other favourite seasonings if soy sauce isn’t your style. Fry them for a few minutes on the stove, and pop in the oven to crisp up even more.
The end result are perfectly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, bite sized pieces of deliciousness, that can be used to top off salads, stir fries, curries, macro bowls, and so much more.
This tofu is:
- Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Packed with lean protein
- Loaded with iron and calcium
- So versatile! It goes with any meal.
I’ll admit, cooking tofu is something that didn’t always come easy to me. In all honesty, I was afraid to even try for a long time after going vegan. The few times that I did, it was wet, crumbly, and just not a pleasant experience whatsoever. I can’t believe it took me this long to realize how easy this could be!
One of the most important things when cooking with tofu, as many others who are experienced with this can tell you, is PROPER DRAINING. This is something I always thought I was doing – I emptied all of the liquid from the tofu package before using it – so why was it still to wet and nasty?
I never even attempted to get out any of the liquid that was built up inside the tofu! Once my research led me to this conclusion, my tofu began to hold together better, not come out soggy, and actually taste good! Moral of the story: taking the time to press the excess liquid out of your tofu block is very important, friends! Now let’s get cooking.
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Drain your block of tofu, wrap in paper towel or a cloth, and place something heavy on top (I used the pan I was about to cook them with) to press out excess moisture for about 5 minutes. Unwrap and chop tofu into roughly 1-1.5 inch cubes.
Begin heating up your oven safe frying pan on medium-high heat with a small drizzle of avocado or olive oil. Toss tofu in 1 tbsp soy sauce or Bragg’s, and add to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, tossing until each side is lightly golden brown. Throw the whole pan into the oven for 10 minutes, and enjoy!
Quick and Easy Crispy Tofu
This tofu is perfectly crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Bite sized pieces of deliciousness, that can be used to top off salads, stir fries, curries, macro bowls, and so much more.
- 350g block of Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce or Bragg's Liquid Soy Seasoning
- Oil for cooking (I use avocado oil)
- Oven-safe pan
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350° F. Drain tofu, wrap in a paper towel or clean cloth, and place something with some weight to it on top (I use my frying pan) for about 5 minutes, to press out excess moisture.
- Step 2 Chop tofu into about 1.5 inch cubes, and toss with soy sauce/Bragg’s. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan on medium-high heat, and add tofu once pan has warmed up.
- Step 3 Cook for about 5 minutes, until each side is golden brown, and place the whole frying pan into your preheated oven for 10 minutes, allowing the tofu to crisp up a little more.
- Step 4 Serve and enjoy! Store your leftovers in an airtight containter in the fridge.