Everyone knows vegans just eat dirt right? By no means can we make a delicious pie without some animal products being thrown in there too.
I’m totally kidding guys, don’t worry.
To be honest, vegan food tastes the best, if I do say so myself.
So why not make some yummy vegan pie? Whatever your favourite is, this crust will do it up wonderfully; from pumpkin, to pecan, to blueberry, and even mud pies, if that’s how you roll.
First, mix your flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Then add the vegetable shortening in small cubes and cut together until just combined. Once mixed, slowly pour in and mix milk. Now create two equally sized dough balls (if your pie doesn’t need a top crust, half the recipe and make one large ball here).
Next, take one of the dough balls and roll it flat on a floured countertop, until it’s large enough to cover your pie plate, with some extra room around the edges.
Carefully, transition the dough from the counter to your pie plate, and gently press in the corners. Top up the crust with your choice of pie filling, and, if necessary, begin rolling out your top layer the same way.
Here’s where you can get a little creative if you want; you can simply place your rolled crust on top, cutting a few small air holes into it for proper baking, you can cut out strips and weave it like I did, or try something new entirely! Whatever you choose, make sure to connect your edges!
Quick, Easy Vegan Pie Crust
This pie crust is not only super easy and fast, it's cruelty free and delicious as well! This recipe makes a top and bottom crust for a 9 inch pie, so if yours doesn't need a top layer, only make half!
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more to roll)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- Step 1 Add flour, sugar, and salt to a large bowl and stir together.
- Step 2 Add vegetable shortening in cubes, and cut until evenly mixed with other ingredients.
- Step 3 Slowly pour milk into the mixture, and gently cut together until everything is mixed and you can create two balls of dough.
- Step 4 Sprinkle flour over your countertop, and begin rolling out one of the dough balls until it is large enough to cover your pie plate, with some extra room on all sides.
- Step 5 Gently move rolled crust from countertop to pie plate, and press corners in slightly.
- Step 6 Pour filling of your choice into bottom crust.
- Step 7 Roll out second dough ball and slice into even strips, about 1-1.5 inches each.
- Step 8 Weave strips over top of pie, and make sure to press in the edges.
- Step 9 Bake according to pie instructions, and enjoy!