For me, one of the hardest dishes to replace after going vegan was some good, old fashioned Mac and Cheese. It’s my favourite comfort food, and honestly, sometimes all I want to eat. Once I stopped eating dairy, I set out on a hunt to find a replacement; something that would satisfy my insane cravings without any guilt whatsoever.
I tried all kinds of store bought replacements, and don’t get me wrong, some of them were pretty good, but nothing could fill that void in my stomach.
Until I tried this.
This Vegan Mac N’ Cheeze is creamy, delicious, and oh-so cheesy. I’ve served it at a few different potlucks, and it’s been loved by vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters too!
I use some of my Cashew Parmesan in this recipe, and sprinkle extra on top to make it even more delicious!
To start, I chopped up my carrot, potato, and onion, and boiled them with 1 cup of water. Once they began to boil, I put the lid on, and allowed them to simmer on low until everything was nice and soft.
While my veggies boiled, I also set a pot of water to start heating up for the pasta.
In a separate pan, I began to mix my olive oil and flour on medium heat, until they were fully combined and thickening.
Next, I added in my almond milk, and stirred to make sure there were no lumps. I turned the stove down to low, and allowed the mixture to thicken for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Once my flour mixture was thick and ready to go, like above, I added it to my blender, along with the veggies, the water I boiled them in, and the rest of the ingredients.
I blended everything on high until it was smooth and creamy. At this point, you can have a little taste, and see if you want to adjust anything to your own personal preferences. Depending on the batch and the day, sometimes I’ll add another sprinkle of nutritional yeast or Cashew Parmesan, or a couple more drops of lemon juice, to get the perfect, cheesy flavour.
Once everything is to your liking, pour over pasta, stir, and enjoy with some more Cashew Parmesan on top!
The Best Creamy Vegan Mac N' Cheeze
This Mac N' Cheeze is creamy and delicious! The perfect comfort food for any time of year; loved by vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters alike!
- 3 cups Whole Grain Macaroni
- 1 cup Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup Onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Mllk
- 4-5 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp Lemon Juice (about half a lemon)
- 3 tbsp Cashew Parmesan (Optional)
- Step 1 Bring the carrot, potato, and onion to a boil in a small saucepan with 1 cup of water.
- Step 2 Cover veggies and let simmer on low for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
- Step 3 In the meantime, start to bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta as well, and cook according to package instructions.
- Step 4 Mix olive oil and flour in a pan on medium heat for about one minute, or until combined.
- Step 5 Add milk, and whisk. Stir on low for about 5 minutes, or until thick.
- Step 6 Add the flour mixture to your blender, along with the veggies, the water you boiled them in, and all remaining ingredients.
- Step 7 Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Step 8 Pour sauce over cooked macaroni and stir.
- Step 9 Top with extra Cashew Parmesan, and enjoy!